News & Events
You Did It!
Children's and Youth Services would like to thank all the patrons, Facebook friends and Twitter followers for voting for us in the Vote It Forward contest.
We finished in third place and will receive, at the Harvest Festival on Saturday, a cheque for $1200. This money will provide supplies for so many more of our popular Maker programs for kids.
We couldn't have done it without your support.
eResource of the Month:
Literature Resource Center
Useful for high school students, this resource includes:
- More than 850 000 full-text articles, critical essays and reviews
- 135 000 in-depth author biographies
- 11 000 overviews of frequently studied works
- 5 000 links to selected websites
- Tools like print, e-mail, download, citation tools and bookmarks are clearly and easily accessible
- Browsable search indexes help users identify the most useful search terms for their needs
- Users can access the audio version of this website with ReadSpeaker technology
Congratulations to our Summer Reading Club Grand Prize Winners!
Bella, Katie and Logan (l to r)
Civics 101 Workshop
Thursday, September 25
Keswick Branch at 6:30-8pm
Municipal Elections are on October 27, 2014. Join this workshop to learn more about civics and
participating in elections.
To Participate in this Workshop:
Phone: 1-877-761-1155 or
For more information, view the poster
Culture Days in September
Saturday, September 27
Keswick Branch at 1pm and
Peter Gzowski (Sutton) Branch, 2:30pm
Pop into the library and enjoy the cool jazz vibes of the Wilson McLeish Trio. The trio will be improvising music based on your favourite book character...or based on you!
View the poster
Victorian High Tea
Friends of the Library are hosting a high tea on
Sunday, November 9 from 1-4pm
De La Salle
1940 Metro Road North,
Tickets are $20.00 and can be purchased at Pefferlaw, Peter Gzowski (Sutton) and Keswick Branches.
Sit in your Victorian finery and enjoy sumptuous sandwiches, delicious treats and desserts, while sipping a selection of premium loose leaf tea.
Entertainment, door prizes, a loonie auction and local vendors will round out the afternoon.
View the poster
Keswick Branch is running a pilot project involving the CardStar app. We want to know how useful you think this app will be. You can now use the CardStar app and store your library card number. You display it when checking out. Staff will then scan your stored library card number. Easy to download and install and can be used on most mobile devices.
Get the apps for iOs; Android; Windows Phone;
Blackberry (some exceptions); Nokia
If you're a CardStar user, here are some additional scanning tips:
- Make sure the screen is free of dust and fingerprints.
- Hold the barcode image steady (don't wave it around).
- Set your screen brightness to 80% or higher for best scanning results.
- If you wish to use a screen protector we recommend screen protectors with a ‘Clear’ finish. Screen protectors with a ‘matte’ or ‘privacy’ finish can interfere with the scanning process.
Read full digital copies of your favourite magazines on a computer, tablet or mobile device using Zinio!
Browse from our library’s collection of popular titles, with no holds, no checkout periods, and no limit to the number of magazines that you can download. Once you check out a magazine it is yours to keep forever. There is no expiry date. The latest issues are released simultaneously with the print edition.
What You Need
- Two accounts created using the same email address:
Staff are trained and ready to go to help you. Click the instruction sheet or
PowerPoint presentation to walk you through the signup process and enjoy!
Our Magazine Selection
Get the app for PC and Mac
Get the app for Windows 8
Get the app for iPhone and iPad
Get the app for Android
Get the app for Blackberry
Get the app for Kindle Fire HD/HDX
CELA, Centre for Equitable Library Access, incorporates CNIB services, and is a new, national, non-profit organization established to support the provision of accessible collections, in a variety of formats, for Canadians with print disabilities.
As a partner of CELA, we offer:
• Titles for all ages in audio, e-text and braille
• More than 85,000 books, magazines and newspapers
• Materials in English & French, with expanding access to other languages
If you are interested in signing up for this service, please contact:
Val Stevens, eServices/Keswick Branch Librarian: 905-476-5762 ext. 121;
Ruth Berry, eServices Library Technician, Keswick Branch: 905-476-5762 ext. 109
For more information on CELA, please log on to their website at www.celalibrary.ca
Georgina Public Libraries strives to be accessible to all patrons.
Our friendly staff can help with your accessibility requests.
For more details, view the poster